Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Light At The End Of The Tunnel

This past month I've been in a tunnel. It's been dark, as tunnel's tend to be. And there was a light at the end. But until now, I wasn't sure if it was a train or the sun. I think (keep fingers crossed, knock on wood, and all that other superstitious stuff) it's safe to say it's the sun again.

School started for Adam. Which means transitions for Adam. Which means stress for Adam.

First week - typically known as the honeymoon period. He loved it. Came home happy. Likes his new teacher. Enjoyed the afternoons playing outside. Honeymoon period - I should have known better.

Second week - honeymoon period over. Completely. Stomach aches in the morning. Crying in the afternoons. Arguing to do homework. Complaining about the unfairness of playground rules. Tantrums for entirely too long. Upset with his friends when they came over to play because they.moved.his.toys.

Third week - same as second week only crying after school increased. On Wednesday he was adamant that he could not go to school due to a stomach ache. I told him to eat his breakfast anyway and he could go late (hoping food would help the nervous stomach I was assuming it was). No such luck. He was adamant he was sick. Told him there would be no screentime until 2:45 (time that school is over). He agreed with no arguing (maybe he really was sick?). We spent the day talking, reading and playing games. I emailed his teacher who gave a positive report that he appears happy, plays with other kids during recess and gets along just fine during group work. That night he was told he was going to school the next day. No crying that afternoon or the next. And no arguing to get homework done.

Fourth week - the sun comes out. No more stomach aches before school. No more crying after school.

I've got Adam back and we're out of the tunnel. Going back to school is never easy for kids. But it still breaks my heart watching how stressful the change in routine is for Adam. No, I can't protect him from everything. Nor do I want to. That wouldn't be teaching him what he needs to be successful as an adult. But it's still heartbreaking while we're in those tunnels.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

I so hear you on this one. I dread transitions for Ethan, DREAD them. The first few weeks of going back to school for Ethan were bad. He held it together while there, and then came home and was a mess. Now things seem to be better, thank goodness. So glad to hear your son has adjusted.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys are doing better!

xo!

Stimey said...

Hooray for the sun. I'm glad things are getting easier.