Friday, May 9, 2008

Stamp Out Hunger


Get your food ready,
Join us Saturday?

I remember when I was growing up my Mom was 'in charge' of mission work for the homeless in our church. Her job was to find congregants to donate prepared food once a month and also servers once a month. Starting in 3rd grade she took me to the shelter to help serve. It was a shelter for women and children. I stood on one side and served food, often their only meal that day or for days, to kids just like me. Driving home my Mom always told me, "Don't think for a minute they are different than you because they don't have a home. We could be in their shoes in a matter of paychecks, broken bones and a really bad month." She's right. So many of us are closer to being homeless than we think.
When I was a teacher I always had some snack packs and cereal bars in my room. Not for when I was hungry. For my students that didn't have breakfast. Or even dinner the night before. A huge portion of our population doesn't qualify for free/reduced breakfast/lunch for their kids in the public school. But that doesn't mean they can always afford 3 meals a day for their children too. My son knew what the food was for, and eventually figured out which kids it was for too. I have passed on that same speech my Mom raised me with. "Don't think for a minute you can't be in someone else's shoes real fast. It doesn't take much. And you'd want someone to help you and be there for them."
Tomorrow is such an easy way to help. All you have to do is take 5 minutes to look through your pantry for some perishables and take them to your mailbox before your mail carrier comes. They'll make sure it gets to your local food bank.
It's what you would want someone to do if you needed a meal.

No comments: