Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Life Moments With A Child On The Spectrum #3

On being literal with word usage:

Tonight, right before Son's favorite show was coming on Son dragged his big bin of Star Wars toys and a Darth Vader action figure holder out of his room. Out of curiosity I asked him what he was doing. He said he was going to bring it downstairs so he could sort through it while watching TV. I asked him if he was actually, um, cleaning? Laughing at me he said, "Cleaning, no way! Just organizing."

Call it cleaning or organizing - it all has the same effect at the end. Toys are off the floor and where they belong when not being played with. Maybe instead of telling him to clean his room I should tell him to organize it from now on.

AND

Over the weekend, I asked him if he had his literature circle paper completed as it was due the first day back. He said it wasn't due. I got out his literature circle group paper of important dates and showed it to him. "Yea, Mom, but it's not DUE. We just have to TURN IT IN!"
Well, excuse me - I didn't realize there was a difference in something being due and something having to be turned in - but apparently there is - and he actually explained the difference to me. It's a small difference, but in his mind, a difference, hence please be sure to use the proper term when asking about the completion of his assignments Mom.

1 comment:

Stimey said...

I'm totally with your son. I cannot stand to clean, but I LOVE to organize.