Friday, August 27, 2010

Bringing Back Memories

When Adam was in 3rd grade he studied Ancient Civilizations and was introduced to historic figures. We took him to the Children's Museum in Baltimore since they had an exhibit on Ancient Egypt. He loved the hands on activities of taking the boat across the Nile, writing in hieroglyphics and exploring a pyramid to discover a mummy.

Like so many units of history and science he has studied, we love to find hands-on activities for him to supplement what he's being taught in school. Lucky for us we live in the DC area – filled with tons of museums between Baltimore and Richmond.

Adam is a fairly quick learner. But when he sees and touches what he's learning, the learning is even that much faster. Often we don't need to go farther than our local bookstore or library. Just looking at a DK book or some other book with pictures helps to solidify information for him.

I received Famous Figures of Ancient Times by Cathy Diez-Luckie as a member of the From Left To Write online book club. When I showed the historical figures that you could color (or use the pre-colored sets), cut and assemble he immediately said, "Remember when we went to the museum in Baltimore when I studied Ancient Egypt? That's when I started learning about the Egyptian and Greek Gods!" Later that day I found him reading one of his books about the mythical Gods.


 

As I member of the Left To Write book club, I was given a complimentary copy of this book. I was not obligated to write about this book, and all opinions are mine only.

No comments: